Pichi Richi Pass

Pichi Richi Pass occurs on the railway line from Port Augusta to Quorn. The name Pichi Richi is believed to have come from the region where pituri is grown, this is a mixture of leaves chewed as a stimulant by Australian Aboriginals.  The Pichi Richi Railway Preservation Society (PRRPS) is a non-profit railway preservation society and operating museum formed in 1973. The society, managed and staffed by volunteer members, operates heritage steam and diesel trains on the restored 39 kilometre section of track between Quorn and Port AugustaThe line was built in 1878 as part of the South Australian Railways’ Port Augusta & Government Gums Railway, once formed a part of the Commonwealth Railways Central Australia Railway and east–west Transcontinental line, and is the oldest remaining section of track of the former narrow gauge Ghan. It is now the only operational section of the Central Australia Railway.